Matsuo Basho became very successful in the Haiku literature when he lived in Koto ward. In 1680,he moved from Nihonbashi of Edo to a thatched hut in Fukagawa and made many superb Haikus,Japanese world-shortest poems,and great travel writing such as Oku-no-Hosomichi.
In September 1919,a frog stone sculpture was excavated from the aftermath of Typhoon at Tokiwa 1-chome. Then Basho museum was build on that place in 1981.
Near the museum,there are Basho-Inari shrine,Saito-an and Basho historic garden also. Saito-an is a cottage of Sampu Suguyama who was a follower of Basho. From Saito-an,Basho departed for writing his masterpiece,Oku-no-Hosomichi.
Basho historic garden is located alongside of Sumida river and Onagi river . And that gives us a fantastic riverside view. In the garden,there are a statue of Basho which is changing the direction at morning and evening.
Inside the Sunamachi Culture Center,there is Ishida Hakyo Memorial Center.
Hakyo was a Haiku poet who had been lived Sunamachi for 12 years since 1946. He wrote many scenes of Koto area in Haiku. Koto area was the second hometown for him. He was a leader of Haiku after the world war second. His family contributed his article and literary works to the center. Hakyo made Haiku group which name was Tsuru. Now Shigeo Suzuki leads that group.
Please enjoy a short trip to Koto ward and visit the place in connection with Basho and Hakyo.